Brown University has a long tradition of creating, encouraging and fostering interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary programs.
It is possible to apply for permission to enroll as a master's student pursuing integrative graduate study. The application process depends on whether the individual is already enrolled in a degree-granting program at Brown, as is detailed in the Graduate School Handbook.
It is incumbent on the individual to propose a self–designed plan of study leading to either the master of arts or the master of science. Evidence of Brown faculty support is required, per handbook guidelines. The Graduate Council will review the completed application package for approval.
Those interested in pursuing integrative studies as a doctoral student may learn more at the Ph.D. in Integrative Studies page.
- GRE General: Optional; the GRE General Test at home version is accepted
- GRE Subject: Not required
- Personal Statement: 1000-1500 word personal statement that gives your reasons to pursue graduate work in the field of your study. The statement should include examples of your past work in your chosen field, your plans for study at Brown, issues and problems you'd like to address in your field and your professional goals.
- Recommendations: Three (3) recommendations required
- Resume: Required
- TOEFL/IELTS: Required for any non-native English speaker who does not have a degree from an institution where English is the sole language of instruction or from a University in the following countries: Australia, Bahamas, Botswana, Cameroon, Canada (except Quebec), Ethiopia, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Tanzania, Gambia, Uganda, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales), West Indies, Zambia).
- The TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the IELTS Indicator exam are accepted.
- Students from mainland China may submit the TOEFL ITP Plus exam.
If you have any questions regarding the application process for this program, please email [email protected].
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022; Brown undergraduates may apply as a fifth-year master’s student through January 18, 2022.